Have a hearing test first: especially if it is a while since your last one. Your hearing may have deteriorated or your hearing aid may need adjusting. Hearing aids available on the NHS have improved greatly and are as good as those offered privately.
Finding the right equipment to suit you can make a huge difference to your quality of life and the range is constantly being updated. It’s important to find something that works well for you so take time to talk to experts. Deaflink has a small amount of demonstration equipment and can also refer you to suppliers able to discuss your needs
Before deciding to buy equipment find out what your local authority can provide, some items are free of charge.
Newcastle City Council
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- or call: 0191 278 8377
Newcastle currently offer some equipment free of charge to people with a hearing loss. Please contact to arrange an assessment.
- Website: https://www.gateshead.gov.uk/article/9972/Contact-Adult-Social-Care:
- text: 07860781832
- or call: 0191 4337033
North Tyneside Council
- Email: email@example.com
- or call: 0191 6432777
- In order to access equipment through North Tyneside you need to have had a hearing test within the last two years.
South Tyneside Council
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- or call: 01914246000
To access equipment they ask you to complete an online adult needs assessment form https://www.sunderland.gov.uk/article/15014/Adults-needs-assessment
- If you are already known to them or cannot manage online forms then phone 0191 520 5552